Monday 5 August 2013

The Night Rainbow Review (Claire King)




First of all let me just say ... this book made me feel all the feels!
The Night Rainbow is a beautifully written book about 5 year old Pea and her Maman (Mother). After the death of her new born baby and her husband Joanna is in a serious depression, neglecting her daughter and spending all of her time in bed. Pea and Margot look after themselves, spending their days out in the meadow and in the beautiful French countryside. Maman does not feed them properly or bathe them and they are basically left to fend for themselves.

They meet Claude and his dog Merlin and an unlikely friendship is formed, while I was suspicious of Claude's intentions at first we learn that he really is just a kind hearted man who is trying to help. He gives the girls food and attention and nurtures them.

The writing in this book and the descriptions were fantastic, I really felt like I was right there in the French countryside with Pea, I could taste the peaches, olives, baguettes and biscuits as she ate them. I could feel the hot summer breeze and her loneliness, I was COMPLETELY lost in this book.

I adored Pea as a character, Claire King does an amazing job of capturing the innocence of a five year old and it made me nostalgic. I think we'd all like to be children again to go back and see things as magical and wonderful in the way Pea does.

The relationships were both heart warming and heart wrenching at the same time. They were always believable and I cried a few times while reading this book. I loved how all of the characters developed and matured throughout the book. There were times when I wanted to jump into the pages and comfort Pea and give Maman a piece of my mind but everything worked out for the best I feel.

I completely adored this book it is a summer read in my opinion and I will be fishing it out again to reread next year for sure.

5 out of 5 stars!!



No comments:

Post a Comment