Monday 15 October 2012

Perfect Chemistry (Simone Elkeles) Review


When I first read what this book was about I was a little put off, it sounded so stereotypical it was only when a friend told me that it was so much more than a soppy romance novel did I decide to give it a shot. I read this book in two days and was pleasantly surprised by it.

We are introduced to Brittany Ellis and Alex Fuentes and the book is written from both of their perspectives, so one chapter is told through the eyes of Brittany and the next through Alex's. I really loved this aspect of the book as I got inside the heads of them both and knew how they both felt about each other before they finally told one another.

Brittany is from the "North side" where all the rich kids live and Alex is from the "South side" where the poor kids live, the majority of people living on the "South side" are also Mexicans and gang members. Although they initially hate each other hey have a certain chemistry and you just pray while reading that they would realize this and get together. I loved the idea of this book although it is a cliche it is well written and better executed than a lot of other books with the same idea.

One of my favorite parts about this book were the characters and their relationships, I liked how everything is not what it seems for example, Alex who is seen as tough and a trouble maker is actually very sweet and caring and although Brittany is seen as little miss perfect we soon learn her life is anything but. I even loved the side characters Simone wrote this so well that I loved the lovable characters and hated the less desirable characters.

This book for me was about living in the moment and following your heart, something that a lot of people don't do as they are too scared of how others will perceive them. I loved that Brittany and Alex went against all odds and made a go of their relationship and I wont say anymore for fear of spoilers.
I highly recommend this book and as soon as I return it to my library I will be rushing out and buying myself a copy!

5 out of 5 stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment