Sunday 30 September 2012

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour (Morgan Matson) Review



This book centers on Amelia or as she is called Amy and her coming to terms with her father's death. With her brother Charlie in rehab and her mother living out in Connecticut Amy is alone in California. When her mother asks Amy to drive her jeep across country to Connecticut Amy is terrified, enter Roger, the son of a family friend who is going to stay with his Dad in Pennsylvania for the summer who agrees to drive Amy to her Mum. Instead of taking the route mapped out by Amy's Mum the two decide to take a bit of a detour or as the title suggests an epic detour both with their own reasons for wanting to drive completely out of the way.

I started this book feeling very hopeful that I was going to love it but unfortunately it just didn't do it for me, I loved the first half but then it seemed to hit a wall and the storyline itself seemed to slow down, I was sick of reading about fast food diners I just wanted the relationship between Amy and Roger to progress and without spoiling too much their relationship only really progresses in the last 20 pages! If you're looking to read a cute romantic book then this is not the one for you because it is more a coming of age book, about Amy learning to be ok with her Dad's death. I did enjoy the book and there were moments when I actually cried along with Amy but it just was a bit of a let down and not what I was expecting. 

I loved the characters Roger and Amy they both seemed so chilled and laid back I would happily go on a week long road trip with either of them. First I'll discuss Amy, it was kind of sad that she blamed herself for her Dad's death and she would not reveal the circumstances of his death stating that she believed people would hate her if they knew. Now I was expecting some huge revelation and it turned out that it really WASN'T her fault and I felt kind of annoyed at her for being so silly and causing herself all this extra pain by blaming herself. Apart from that she was really likable and I felt everything she was feeling.
Roger was cool and the kind of guy I would fall in love with, he's fun, easy to talk to and understanding it just got kind of annoying how he was so hung up on his ex Hadley.

I enjoyed the writing style of this book it was easy to read and I enjoyed the journal enteries, the photos, the receipts that kind of thing it really felt like it was actual memorabilia from a road trip.

I gave this book 3 stars out of 5 and honestly I probably wouldn't read it again

No comments:

Post a Comment