Tuesday 2 July 2013

Countdown City (Ben H Winters) Review



Another great edition to the Last Policeman series as we all anxiously await the arrival of the deadly asteroid Maia.

Hank Palace as we know from the first book has been dismissed from his duties as a detective but after being contacted by an old friend decides to take on the case of Martha Cavatone's missing husband. The people around Hank can't seem to understand why he goes out of his way to solve this case, especially when he is not being compensated, but he remains moral and determined. In my opinion I believe he stays so focused on his cases in order to distract him from the end.

Throughout this book we see society slowly breaking down and it becomes a more dog eat dog world with people rioting and taking supplies from one another. The one thing I love most about this series is Hank Palace, he appears to be the last moral person on earth and he brings a slice of normality to the chaos. He is witty and I thoroughly enjoyed getting inside of this characters mind and reading his inner monologues with himself. He truly is a unique and upstanding character.

Countdown City was a fantastic edition to the series and although I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book I was hooked from the very beginning. I have become attached to the characters in this series and eagerly await the next instalment. Ben Winters does an amazing job of making this world on the brink of apocalypse come to life and it is a world I will enjoy revisiting as I plan on rereading the books again and again.

4 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment