Tuesday 11 December 2012

Beautiful Disaster (Jamie McGuire) Review



This book has been really difficult for me to rate and it is even harder for me to review. I enjoyed reading the book but I didn't like it that much, that probably makes no sense so I'll try and explain myself a little better.

For starters the back of the book boasts that this is a love story between 'good girl' Abby Abernathy and 'bad boy' Travis Maddox. This idea fascinates me and I will shamelessy read books about good girls taming the bad guy and settling down because it is every woman's fantasy and I enjoy reading about it. However, Abby was not a good girl which really irritated me, the back of the book goes as far as to say she doesn't drink which is annoying because in one scene she downs 15 shots of patron. The author seems to think Abby is a good girl because in the opening scene she is wearing a cashmere sweater and pearl earrings, so stereotypical it is sickening and not even true to her character. 

As for Travis's character, I started out really liking him and I even got a bit of a crush on him, he seemed too good to be true... and he was!
I found his obsessive behaviour towards Abby downright creepy, if I had of been her I would've run a mile. 

So for about 300 pages of this book the two main characters take part in this really annoying will they / wont they situation. I disliked them both and by the end I thought they were good enough for each other. They are both volatile and obsessive and I didn't like either characters. 

I am not a feminist at all but I hate the way authors glorify these volatile and dangerous relationships, Travis smashes up his apartment and viciously beats up guys that look Abby's way and that is not 'Beautiful' it is just a plain 'Disaster'. Nobody should aspire to be in such an obsessive unhealthy relationship. Perhaps this book did nothing for me because I like my female protagonists to be strong willed and independant and Abby was neither of these things.


1 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment