Monday 1 October 2012

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1) by Lemony Snicket Review



For some reason I really enjoyed this book! I didn't think I would enjoy a book about children who really do have such a horrible time and I found myself struggling at points because honestly I just love a happy ending but it was made abundantly clear that this book and series for that matter WON'T have a happy ending. 

This book was so enjoyable and to me it had a kind of dark and creepy feeling, it made me feel the same way I felt when I read Coraline. However while I gave Coraline 5 stars this one only received 4 and I'll explain why.

Its not that I was okay with anything that happened to these children because I really felt for them and wanted to adopt them myself, but the worst of it all in my eyes was the creepy Count Olaf trying to marry his 14 year old relative while everyone in the book was like 'ok this is horrible but it is technically legal.' 
Now I am not a prude and when reading I rarely get the 'this is so wrong' reaction but for some reason I was totally sickened by it in this book. In my opinion it was a bit too much but I suppose it is necessary to show the reader just how disgusting and monstrous Count Olaf is.

I own this book in an ebook form on my iPad but I will definitely be purchasing the series in either paperback or hardback. Lemony snicker has such an entertaining style of writing and he really does suck you in to this other world, granted it is a world that is bleak and grim but it is a one I tend to revisit as I find myself wondering what is next for the Baudelaire orphans!

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment