Wednesday 5 September 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why (Jay Asher) Review




Ok so basically the plot to this book revolves around Hannah Baker and Clay Jensen. Hannah had committed suicide 2 weeks before the book begins and Clay arrives home from school one day to find a box of audio tapes. These tapes were recorded by Hannah and explain there are 13 reasons why she killed herself, and Clay is one of them.

I really liked the way the author dealt with the sensitive subject of suicide, he handled it honestly and tastefully. The only negative comment I can make is that some of the 'reasons' given for Hannah killing herself did seem a little shallow and unrealistic.

It is hard to like the majority of characters in this book as we listen to Hannah's tapes as they all did a crappy thing that led to her decision for committing suicide. However, Clay one of the two main narratives is actually really likeable he is torn up about Hannah and shows genuine sorrow I personally believe he should never have been mentioned on the tapes or have had to go through listening to them but then he never would've understood Hannah and why she ultimately made the choice she did. 
As for Hannah she is likeable but at points you can become annoyed with her some of the things she says led to her death are shallow, I mean yes it's awful that a guy grabbed your butt, it's disrespectful and invasive but it happens to women all over the world who cope with it a hell of a lot better. Also yes the people on those tapes did some awful things, some worse than others but some didn't deserve to be blamed for her suicide that is something that will haunt them forever, and to be honest some of them weren't being purposely mean. 
I felt like Hannah was shifting the blame as really the only person responsible for her suicide was her. However, I wanted to reach out to her so badly, I wanted to save her and be a friend to her. 

I liked the style of writing I liked the audio tapes idea it was a quirky way of hearing the characters stories! I have this book 4 out of 5 stars because although I did enjoy it there were something's that just didn't sit right with me.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYTMDI-xm-o&feature=plcp

No comments:

Post a Comment